Thursday, October 20, 2005

Blogging, etc.

I have spent my allotted blogging time each day on my Honors U.S. History blog, and I have to say that it has been very interesting. The students are bringing in different perspectives and are actually starting to challenge each other and me. Although I certainly miss the in-class current events discussions, I am definitely using the in-class time on curriculum. So, the blog has certainly helped me, rather than adding stress to my day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristin L said...

Do your students miss your current events discussions as well, or do they prefer the blog? Next week three of my classes will be jumping into blogs feet first, I'm trying to anticipate their reactions.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Crosby said...

It is difficult to say for sure, but I think that some students would prefer the in-class discussions. However, from my perspective, the benefit to the blog in this regard is that there seem to be fewer repeated comments by students.

What I mean by this is that when students participate in an in-class discussion, they often keep their hands up even when the people called on before them had exactly the same comments to share. A blog gives them the opportunity to see what others have written, and formulate ideas over longer periods of time, rather than being determined to make some comments on the spur of the moment, and repeat what others said previously.

To be honest, I really prefer in-class current events discussions as well, but I also think that I am doing a better job with the history curriculum this year than I have in previous years.

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home