PLC talk
Last night I spoke with a parent during Back to School Night and she asked how our first official PLC day went. I was happy to report how well I think yesterday worked, and how much we accomplished. I also told her how nice it has been to work with two other teachers (who aren't even officially on the same PLC team) in the PLC format. We have been planning Western Civ together once per week, reviewing the past week and looking forward to the next. We have also been writing our homework checks together and I have to say that it is so much more enjoyable to plan with other teachers because combined planning fosters creativity. Today we will discuss how the students did on the first homework check and what we might change.
On another note, I posted the big questions for Western Civ Unit 1 on the side board of my room so that they are always available. The students and their parents seemed to think that it was useful. I really like this big question focus!
On another note, I posted the big questions for Western Civ Unit 1 on the side board of my room so that they are always available. The students and their parents seemed to think that it was useful. I really like this big question focus!

3 Comments:
I also thought that the first PLC dya went well. Our group was well mixed--I think we had at least one member from each department--and because of this, I had that great feeling several times of thinking about an old subject in an entirely new because of someone else's comment.
I'm a big fan the "big questions"; I have them on my syllabus, but the poster is an excellent idea, especially considering how visual our students are. Do we have to pay for our own lamination these days?
So, would you mind sharing the big questions in Western Civ with us via the blog?
I am glad that others thought that the PLC day went well!
Regarding the questions - I have them posted on my website (one unit at a time) and on the side chalkboard in my classroom. Lamination is free in the library if you choose to make posters because you travel from room to room. Here are the first two questions for Western Civ:
Big Questions - Greece
1. What are the legacies of the ancient Greeks?
2. In what ways were the lives of the ancient Greeks similar to and different from the lives of modern Americans?
Post a Comment
<< Home