Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Students and controversial topics

I have been interested by the ways in which my students have handled controversial topics on my class blog. I have definitely learned to state in the original post exactly what I expect from them. And although it is easier for them to steer the conversation away from the intended question when they are blogging instead of participating in a classroom discussion, they are also beginning to use the delay of the blogging discussion to research their comments and really provide thoughtful, rather than off-the-cuff, statements of opinion. Right now this is particularly true with the discussion about the role that religion should or should not play in presidential decision-making. This can be viewed at http://crosbyblog.blogspot.com/2005/10/in-answer-to-bill-cs-question.html

1 Comments:

Blogger Roger Hess said...

Amanda, I am impressed by your students' comments. They are not content simply to comment and move on, but they read the responses and then comment on them. I can definitely see the advantages of having extra time to think through the issue.

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home