Progress
Goal #1: I am going to continue working with the idea of constructivism. Ways that I plan to do this include continuing to blog with my students, approaching class time as more of a chance for my students to take charge of their own learning, and really communicating with colleagues and students about what seems to be working and what needs to be worked on.
I would say that I am doing alright with this goal, but I could be doing much better. For example, I have been blogging less, mainly because I just haven't had the time to devote to it. Blog topics these days tend to be extensions of class discussions (which is good), but I haven't been doing the current events thing on my blog lately (which is bad). I am not trying to excuse my failure here, but merely explain it - I NEED MORE TIME!!!
Goal #2: I also plan to continue making use of the LCD in my rooms, taking advantage of opportunities to use visuals to a greater extent than I have been able to do in the past. My goal with all of this technology is to put more and more learning tools in the hands of my students and take advantage of "just in time" teaching moments.
I am sure that I could do better here as well, but I have really been making an effort and think that I am doing some fun stuff. I used the Boston Legal clip that Karl sent to me when we learned about McCarthyism, and I used some science fiction movie trailers and the "Duck and Cover" film from the Prelinger Archives for Cold War stuff. I have been more constructivist in the sense that I prep the students with readings and discussions, then show the clips and have students discuss the clips before I say anything about them. The students really are good at analyzing the ideas, and I often find that I have little else to add onto their thoughts.
I would say that I am doing alright with this goal, but I could be doing much better. For example, I have been blogging less, mainly because I just haven't had the time to devote to it. Blog topics these days tend to be extensions of class discussions (which is good), but I haven't been doing the current events thing on my blog lately (which is bad). I am not trying to excuse my failure here, but merely explain it - I NEED MORE TIME!!!
Goal #2: I also plan to continue making use of the LCD in my rooms, taking advantage of opportunities to use visuals to a greater extent than I have been able to do in the past. My goal with all of this technology is to put more and more learning tools in the hands of my students and take advantage of "just in time" teaching moments.
I am sure that I could do better here as well, but I have really been making an effort and think that I am doing some fun stuff. I used the Boston Legal clip that Karl sent to me when we learned about McCarthyism, and I used some science fiction movie trailers and the "Duck and Cover" film from the Prelinger Archives for Cold War stuff. I have been more constructivist in the sense that I prep the students with readings and discussions, then show the clips and have students discuss the clips before I say anything about them. The students really are good at analyzing the ideas, and I often find that I have little else to add onto their thoughts.

2 Comments:
I would definitely say "progress." It is a process, and it will take time - both in the sense of needing time to implement change and simply needing more time to think, plan and prepare.
Time is always the killer. I would love to have more time to do more visual responses with my kids too and preview movie clips on United Streaming but somehow I need to still fit in sleeping (I hear you gave that up, so you are still one step ahead of me!!!)
Post a Comment
<< Home