Tuesday, December 13, 2005

First Hour

I am thinking ahead to next semester and I am trying to figure out a way to motivate my first period class. This semester my first period class is extremely quiet (even quieter than usual) and I think that we would all enjoy ourselves more if people were more lively. I was thinking about using brainteasers or something. What would the constructivist approach to this be? A few times I tried having them come in with topics they wondered about, etc., so that they could have more input in the class, and they were still very quiet. What to do? Is first hour just destined to be less fun than every other class of the day?

2 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

It might be better just with a different mix of students, but I do think 7:25 am classes with teenagers are a problem. (Ooh, there's a Fischrant I could blog about - why we still start high school early and elementary late, even though all the research indicates we should do the opposite.)

Anyway, I think asking them for topics they wondered about is a good idea, even if it doesn't work all the time. I think blogging could help - that if something was posted the night before that got them fired up, they might be more ready to engage (devil's advocate, anyone?). I think mixing up the structure of your class can help as well - whether that means using music, or a quick video clip, or a skit with another teacher, or whatever. I don't think it always has to be a huge thing, but just something to grab their attention and get them engaged. Once you've got their attention, then your ability as a teacher will take them the rest of the way.

3:29 PM  
Blogger James H said...

Does it seem like we have had more students in zero hours this year? Maybe it is just me.

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home