Wednesday, December 07, 2005

An Experiment

Today in my 2nd and 3rd period classes, I let the students make a decision: we only had time to discuss one of the following topics: Prohibition or the Scopes Trial. Whichever one they chose not to discuss would be made available via the blog for discussion. Second period discussed Prohibition (which branched off into a discussion about the repeal of Prohibition, and from there to a discussion about legalizing currently illegal activities such as drug use and prostitution). Third period discussed the Scopes Trial. A few minutes ago I made the not-discussed topics available on my blog. I will be interested to see if students from both classes visit the blog to discuss the other topic, if students cross over and blog about what they discussed in class, and if the dialogue on the blog will be less civil than the discussions in class (which were incredibly good and civilized). Any predictions?

3 Comments:

Blogger Barbara S. said...

My prediction is they will "cross" blog. Our students are informed (from various sources) about blogging and they like to have their opinion heard. Funny how when we ask teenagers their opinion they like to share. It used to be we (teachers especially, parents sometimes)hardly ever asked teenagers what they thought. I am pleased that times they are a changin'!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I also think they will cross over. Is it still optional for them to post to the blog, or was this a requirement? If it's optional, then I think most of the students will cross post. If it's a requirement, then I predict your frequent posters will cross post, but the ones who usually don't will stick to their own period.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Crosby said...

I can't believe that someone beat Karl to be the first comment on a post! :) Anyway, yes, blogging is still optional.

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home