Activity
Recently I did an activity with my freshmen called "Who Should Live?" Alison gave it to me and it was really great! Essentially, the students have a list of 15 people (with biographical information) and only 7 may survive. (An atomic bomb has been detonated, and there is only enough food for 7 people.) Anyway, it was a great activity and the discussions that resulted, about how we really do judge people based upon age, handicap, sexual orientation, career choice, etc. were incredibly interesting.
As a funny side note, a few days before we did this activity, I told my second period class that we were going to do an activity, and one boy's head immediately perked up. His response was not what I had anticipated: "Wait a minute, the last time you told us that we were going to do an activity, we had to learn the Bunny Hop." :)
As a funny side note, a few days before we did this activity, I told my second period class that we were going to do an activity, and one boy's head immediately perked up. His response was not what I had anticipated: "Wait a minute, the last time you told us that we were going to do an activity, we had to learn the Bunny Hop." :)

2 Comments:
This sounds like an awesome activity! I love it when they unknowingly expose their own stereotypes. What were you studying?
We were studying the early Cold War period. I heard that Sale does something similar in one of his classes.
Post a Comment
<< Home