Hey Jack Kerouac
Tonight I was doing some planning for my 1950s unit and it struck me how technology is opening up so many frontiers because I showed a video clip today which referenced the Beats which got me thinking about Kerouac's On the Road so I decided to read a passage from it and then I thought about the 10,000 Maniacs song "Hey Jack Kerouac" so I popped that into the CD player on my computer and played it while reading the lyrics which I found on the Internet. That got me thinking about Kerouac in general so I Googled him and went to YouTube and watched some clips of Kerouac talking about his writing then I went back to Google and found a site http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=240611 in which somebody from Thailand mapped out Kerouac's entire life to the accompaniment of jazz on Google Earth wow this is what school should be. (I am sure that the English teachers out there noticed the stream of consciousness Beat quality of this post :)

2 Comments:
What I love is looking at your train of thought and comparing it to my own recently. It is amazing how 21st century has changed my use of technology and the realization of what is out there to help initiate the persuit of knowledge from the kids. This lesson looks like it is going to be great!
I agree, Barb. I too, use the...shall we say gossamer's process, Amanda, to make connections between subjects and find ways to engage my students. Looking at Cheryl's post about multi-tasking and Barb's post about balance, makes me realize that we as teachers are not that far away from our students and that we, too can be engaged using technology and still be passionate about a focused topic.
Post a Comment
<< Home