Constructivism
I really like starting a new semester - it does entail getting a whole new group of kids on the right path, but I like getting fresh ideas and outlooks in the classroom too. I am also teaching an all boys freshman class which has been good and interesting so far. The boys definitely respond well to constructivist techniques. The thing I like best about constructivism is that class is more interesting because each period is different. The biggest struggle I have is making some lessons (especially those involving very difficult and intricate material) constructivist. But at the same time I am fine with not being constructivist all the time. I think it is all about balance.

2 Comments:
I agree for the most part, but I would quibble with "it is all about balance." I think it's all about learning. As long as you are doing everything possible to help the actual students that are in your classroom learn (whether that's "constructivist" or not), then we're on the right track. But I don't think "balance" is always the best way to accomplish that . . .
I completely agree about balance. I also agree with karl that it is all about learning. However, learning, to me, means that students have the ability to adapt to various situations and have an abundance of tools in their "tool box". There is so much that goes into being a successful/productive member of society.
Post a Comment
<< Home