Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Interesting responses

McBride and Price have an interesting assignment asking students: "From what would you declare your independence?" (while learning about the Declaration of Independence) . Here are two student responses from my Honors freshman class:

"If there was one thing I could declare independence from it would be grades. They really aren't needed except for your parents to keep tabs on you. Learning would mean more if it was optional. Those who wanted to learn could do so more easily without those who didn't getting in the way. Without grades the classroom would be more relaxed and the students more open and creative."

"Lane does bring up an interesting point. I think people would learn more if education was more geared toward individual interest. Students often do what will get them the best grade instead of what learn them the most."

Very interesting considering all of our discussions.

1 Comments:

Blogger Crosby said...

As a follow up I posted a question about grades for my freshmen. Check it out at crosbyblog.blogspot.com

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home