Too cool
The work we did yesterday in 21C was the best we've done this year! Google Earth is awesome and I spent more than an hour last night looking up the places we study in Western Civ. It's really going to give the students a better perspective on that class. Also, the subscription services stuff is going to help me implement the changes I want to put in place for Western Civ. I'm thinking of trying to run the course completely off of non-textbook sources. My question is: what about the students who cannot afford computers at home? I realize that my juniors can do most of their HW at school for a MWF class, but I do think that students who don't have fast, reliable Internet connections at home will be at a disadvantage. At one point I thought we talked about trying to get grants to help families buy computers / pay for Internet access if they can't afford it. Am I remembering correctly?

2 Comments:
Yes, we talked about that. As the district moves forward with discussions about a 1:1 laptop initiative at the high school level, this will be one of the issues that will need to be (and will be) addressed.
Maybe you could do an informal poll for us of your current western civ students. It could be fairly simple, something along the lines of:
1. Do you have your own computer at home with Internet access?
2. If not, is there a computer (not "yours") at home that you can use that has Internet access?
3. Do you have broadband Internet access at home? (Broadband meaning high speed, like cable Internet or DSL.)
4. Please list anything else you think we might need to know about your ability to use a computer and the Internet from home.
I'm glad that you can see applications to your class with Google Earth--It seems like it would be a natural connection piece with Western Civilization. Let me know how I can help you with the program.
Mike
Post a Comment
<< Home