Monday, December 19, 2005

Blogging Report

I just looked at my blog for the semester. The students contributed approximately 450 posts in 10 weeks. Wow! This is even more impressive considering that blogging was completely optional!!! I did offer extra credit to be added to their participation grades twice, but they knew that participation was only worth 10% of the class grade, so in reality it didn't really affect their overall grades.

I think that the part I like most about blogging with my students is how excited they get about it. They often asked to be able to blog about topics that really got people stirred up in class. I think that next semester I will have a more student-generated approach to blog topics. We will study WWII to the present - so there will be lots of controversy!

2 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I think student-generated posts is ideal. I think there are still times when you want to get them started in a particular direction, but the more you can make it student directed, the better.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Kristin L said...

I think it's fantastic that kids are blogging about history (too many of my history classes simply existed between me and a cold, boring textbook). I made some of my blogs mandatory and others optional. Looking back at my blog, I realized that the best discussions and the most comments were elicited by the optional ones! The student-directed ones were great too. Are your students able to actually create a post, or can they only comment? Right now, mine can only comment--I need to ask Karl how to change this.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home