Time to breathe?
Starting this semester has been completely overwhelming for me, and to be honest I am just trying to find time to breathe. I am still working on my goals for the semester - I have one that I like but am too tired to write it here tonight. On a positive note I can say that I have been happy with the uses I have found for the projectors in my rooms. For example, while talking about the items that the Nazis stole from all sorts of people during WWII, I mentioned a recent news article I had read about a woman who got $150 million worth of Kilmt paintings back from the Austrian government. In class I linked to the article, then to Wikipedia to show the students some Klimt works, and I even got to show them the most famous of the paintings that the woman received. Also, I was teaching about the Maginot Line and I found a website about it with short video clips showing how the system worked. The kids were really engaged and kept saying "click on that link!" and pointing to other information they wanted to see. We all had fun and got to see images that in years prior would never have been integrated into their learning.

3 Comments:
Yes, I think quite a few folks were overwhelmed by the start of the semester - and, of course, dance practice! Don't worry about it - get to it when you can (but don't wait too long or the semester will be over . . .)
Those are some nice examples of "just in time" learning - where you were able to seize on student interest and help engage them in the topic through the use of technology. Taken out of context, it doesn't appear to be such a big thing. But I think it's one of many little things that technology can help us accomplish that - when taken in total - changes the atmosphere of our classrooms.
You did an awesome job dancing at the assembly, Amanda. The time stamp says it was 12:03 am when you posted this to your blog! Oh my gosh...I was asleep on the couch around 9:00 pm :-) We all seem to be overwhelmed so please know that you are not alone. I am confident you will set some goals; you have never been a procrastinator. Now me on the other hand...
Yes - dance practice is always a crazy way to start the semester! I will definitely get the goals done soon. And midnight is early for me!
Post a Comment
<< Home