Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Huge Concern

One thing that I really like about the 21C group right now is that we are allowing ourselves to spend this first year in some really philosophical discussions about education, grading, constructivism, etc. The way I perceive this is that we are attempting to think about lots of potential changes and experiment a bit with those changes this year, with the goal of implementing some good changes next year (and continuing to experiment with yet more changes even as we are making others.) That way the shift doesn't become too overwhelming, and we do a better job of thinking through the potential roadblocks before we encounter them.

That said, I am getting the feeling from a couple of other groups with which I am involved that the push to change the way we do things at Arapahoe is on some sort of tight deadline. It is almost like some people have this mentality that Arapahoe is in huge trouble and needs to shape up immediately or else . . . This is so strange to me because although I think that we can always improve, I don't see any hugely glaring problem that requires some radical changes to be put into effect. Part of the problem may be that I am on so many committees this year, and each is talking about major changes. I certainly am not advocating taking 5 years to make reforms, but I just worry about rushing into changes before people have really had a chance to consider all of the potential ripple effects of those changes. (Yes, I know that I am not providing any specifics here, but I would prefer not to freak everyone else out too!)

My solution to all of this is to just take care of the things that I actually have control over. I am going to continue working with the idea of constructivism. Ways that I plan to do this include continuing to blog with my students, approaching class time as more of a chance for my students to take charge of their own learning, and really communicating with colleagues and students about what seems to be working and what needs to be worked on. (This sounds like a goal and an action plan, by the way.) I also plan to continue making use of the LCD in my rooms, taking advantage of opportunities to use visuals to a greater extent than I have been able to do in the past. For example, in Western Civ today I used a map that I borrowed from another website and modified, and a painting that I borrowed from a second website. I was able to put them on slides, upload the slides to my website, and show them in class via the projector. Even more important, because they are on my website, the students can access them whenever they wish to study. My goal with all of this technology is to put more and more learning tools in the hands of my students and take advantage of "just in time" teaching moments. (This sounds like my second goal and action plan.)

Sometime between now and June I also plan to take a nap . . .

4 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I think taking a nap would qualify as an action plan, but I'm not sure what goal you are attaching it to.

I agree that we shouldn't rush into stuff, and I hope that I am not pushing too fast in our group. On the other hand, I don't want to be too laid back because I do think we need to make some major changes (and not just at AHS) fairly soon. Not to belabor the analogy, but the world is getting flatter every day. And, as I said on Brian's blog, this is the only four years of high school those freshmen in your classes have. Are we willing to look them in the eye and tell them that we will be making some changes for the better in a few years . . .?

As far as your goals (I am choosing to interpret this post as your goals post), they are very nice. The only think I wonder about is are they specific enough that you will be able to evaluate whether you have "achieved" them at the end of the semester.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Crosby said...

I agree about the necessity of reform at a reasonable pace, but I worry about rushing into things. For example, simply adding more sections of AP classes (which are electives) for next fall without thinking though the implications for the rest of the schedule is very detrimental to everyone at this school. Although AP and Honors classes in some departments should probably be more inclusive, opening up those classes to students who are clearly not up to the challenges is not fair to those kids, and it is not helpful to the kids who will thrive at a faster pace. That may not be the politically correct thing to say right now, but it seems like we have a Lake Woebegone effect around here sometimes.

Feel free to rant now, Karl.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Michelle S said...

A nap sounds excellent, I could use one right now. Maybe you should take 4th off one day and sleep while one of us goes through the lesson plan for the day. It would give us some quality teaching experience!

3:21 PM  
Blogger Crosby said...

Don't worry - you will get your chance soon enough --- but I will be watching (roll scary music) . . .

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home