Friday, January 27, 2006

Wow!

Today went so well! Last night my freshmen read an article about WWII propaganda, and after we discussed it, I put some posters up for them to see via the projector. (The posters are on my webpage - Crosby -US History II - Unit I (WWII) - Propaganda Posters.) They did a great job looking for symbolism, messages, and tools used by the poster creators with virtually no prompting from me! Students asked some questions about the American flag and hari-kari, both of which were referenced in different posters. Instead of telling them the answers to their questions, I asked them how we could figure out the answers. One student said, "Go to Wikipedia!" and another student said, "Wiki-what?" The first student explained what it is, and I talked about the idea of a social encyclopedia. Then we looked up the information we wanted to know before returning to the posters. The day ended with the kids thinking of examples of propaganda that they see in their lives, and they had lots of good examples from advertising. It was a fun and eduational hour - for all of us!

3 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

Very nice. I especially like your last sentence "It was a fun and educational hour - for all of us!"

12:30 PM  
Blogger Crosby said...

Bill - Actually I was referring to the activity in my Period 2 regular US History course, not your Period 4 class. Most activities have a different focus in regular vs. Honors.

9:38 PM  
Blogger James H said...

What a great activity and you should feel good that you are inspiring future teachers because you are doing such a great job.

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home